Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Sketch

So far, I've taken the big steps in getting ready for my adventure -- first, actually making the decision to walk away from my career (if, perhaps, temporarily), then breaking the news to my employer, and then, of course, telling the world (i.e., Facebook).  That was the easy part.

But now, the big steps are done, and I’m facing the real challenge.  I have to actually plan this trip.

To say I’ve got a long way to go is like saying the sky is blue.  It's not a question.  But, I’ve got a general framework sketched out.   I’ve put the most thought into the first few months, while the last few are full of question marks. I put this out here both to recruit traveling companions (Come join me at any time! Anyone!) and to solicit advice.  I’ve got lots of worldly friends…share your knowledge!
  • July
    • Iowa (RAGBRAI, a week of biking and drinking across Iowa)
  • August
    • Colorado for three weeks
    • Back to Chicago
  • September  
    • Madison, WI (Ironman Wisconsin)
    • Peru (Machu Picchu)
  • October
    • Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • November
    • New York, NY (NYC Marathon)
    • Mendoza, Argentina
  • December
    • Patagonia
    • Chile
  • January 
    • Pucon, Chile (Ironman Pucon 70.3)
    • New Zealand
  • February 
    • New Zealand
  • March  
    • Australia (Mooloolaba Triathlon)
  • April 
    • Lanzarote, Canary Islands
  • May
    • Ironman Lanzarote
    • Spain
  • June
    • France?  Germany?
  • July
    •  ???/ Europe
So that’s where I am.  There are some glaring omissions and completely bypassed continents, and yes, and I’m still thinking about if/how to fit them in. 

And while I’m trying to keep things fairly unstructured, I have some things I’m definitely going to do.  Here's a few:
  1. Swim in this pool:


It’s in Chile and it's 1000 meters long.  A legit swim workout that consists of 3 x 1 lap?? I like it.

2.   Learn Spanish:  I admit, most of my thinking about this trip has been quite positive.  But every once in a while, usually late at night, I allow myself to consider the fact that my vacation won’t be all puppies, rainbows, and unicorns.  I’m traveling by myself, and inevitably, there are going to be lonely days.  I’m thinking those lonely times can be alleviated if, y'know, I can communicate with the people around me.   So…. Spanish lessons it is. 

3.   Learn to surf:  my grandparents lived right on the beach in Cocoa Beach, Florida, a huge surfing locale.  I’ve gone there multiple times a year since as long as I can remember.  Why have I never actually graduated beyond the boogie board?  Don’t know, but I'm going to change that.

4.   Do this
Sandboarding on the dunes in Peru.  I tried snowboarding once.  I finished all black and blue, and spent the next couple days complaining that my "brain hurt."  But sand's softer and less slippery, right?  Time to try again.




1 comment:

  1. I want to go to that pool too!!! Read about it, and want to go! You must go and report back. I'm so excited you're doing the traveling and the blog. I love to read about cool adventures. If you ever get stuck with the language, I speak spanish.
    Enjoy!
    Haydee

    ReplyDelete